NetSol's PGP auth ... and the road not taken

Joe Rhett jrhett at isite.net
Sun Nov 4 00:40:59 UTC 2001

Leo, we did all of these. We found out about #3 (their documentation still
says this should be blank, but we were told in '96 to put the key-id there)
And we always used PGP 2.4.2. They were the only reason we had 2.4.2 ...

Anyway, we had pre-written domain forms and we processed the message
through a CGI script I wrote, so there was no possible way for the message
to go with other than signed cleartext with the keyid in the auth field.
50% of the submissions got bounced for no reason and we had to call in.
Even the ones that cleared would take 8-10 hours. NetSol told us that
they queue the PGP stuff and do it once a day, manually. That the only way
to improve response was to drop PGP auth.

Maybe they have gotten better recently. We moved all of our domains to
OpenSRS over a year ago, so we don't have to wait any more. At the time we
left, it was a nightmare.

--
Joe Rhett                                                      Chief Geek
JRhett at ISite.Net                                      ISite Services, Inc.