NY ranks #1 in Internet b/w

Bram Dov Abramson bda at bazu.org
Fri Nov 2 14:05:12 UTC 2001

>that can lay undersea cables yet? A cable from Northern Europe to Japan
>and the US North West under the North Pole icecap would be great.

Don't know about the icecaps -- the Middle East will probably have
more demand than the North Pole for a long long time -- but I think
FLAG has some bandwidth they'd like to sell you
(http://www.flagtelecom.com/cable_route.htm).  As might the telcos
who own SeaMeWe-3 (http://smw3.fcr.fr/SMW/SMWB2.htm)...

So:

>  > This report also says that the relevance of US for Internet is decreasing.
>
>Hm, I'm still waiting to witness a traceroute from Europe to Asia or the
>Pacific that doesn't go over the US for the first time.

Yes, but at least you can see traces from S Korea to Japan, say,
which don't route through Palo Alto.  Region-to-region is harder.

cheers
Bram