214/8 and 215/8

John Kristoff jtk at depaul.edu
Thu Nov 1 16:02:16 UTC 2001

"Christopher A. Woodfield" wrote:
> In addition to Genuity's three /8s, and the /8s allocated to Apple
> Computer, HP, Ford, GE, Interop Show Network (who are they?), Boeing,

Interop is the Networld+Interop conference show network.  It used to be
simply Interop.  I don't remember what the largest peak count of
addresses used at any one time have been, but I'm fairly certain that it
has easily numbered into the thousands for most of the recent U.S. based
shows.  A team of people build a very sizable, temporary network to
support each show.  The addresses are used for vendor booths,
classrooms, attendees and more test/research-oriented areas (e.g. the
iLabs pavilion).

Its change a bit since the earlier days, but there are still parts of
the network that are quite interesting.  If you ever have a chance, its
worth learning about.

As long as the show continues in this present form, I think their space
(45/8) is still justified.  Although it is probably worth questioning
from time to time.

John