engineering --> ddos and flooding

Andrew Dorsett zerocool at netpath.net
Thu May 31 22:11:12 UTC 2001

I'm going to reply to my own post here.  I am thoroughly impressed.  I sent
the message out and in 10 minutes I had two replies.  Keep the ideas
coming, I will form up a general suggestion message and post it later.  One
thing to think about, I want a way to do it without having to call a NOC
like Genuity and asking them to put in a filter, I want a way to do
something about it at a lower level.  Like multiple connections....Remember
NOC calls take time because of hold times...  Someone just told me (on
here) that the IETF is working on something, anyone know how many more
years it will take for that protocol?

Thanks again,
Andrew

At 05:59 PM 5/31/2001, you wrote:
>Hey, this is a technical question for all of the Network
>Engineers/Architects on the list.  Has a method been found to stop an
>incoming attack?  Granted you can filter the packets to null on the
>router, but that doesn't stop them from coming across the wire and into
>the router.  Has a way been devised to stop them from coming into the
>router; via something like a BGP update to null the packets or what?  I'm
>concerned about a flood that is so massive coming from the core and
>flooding a small T1 or less.
>
>Thanks,
>Andrew
>---
><zerocool at netpath.net>
>http://www.andrewsworld.net/
>ICQ: 2895251
>Cisco Certified Network Associate
>Development Assistant: Netpath/Stratonet, Inc.
>                        (http://www.netpath.net/)
>                        Email: dorsett at netpath.net
>
>"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all
>of them yourself." -- Unknown
>"YEEEHA!!! What a CRASH!!!" -- Random System Administrator

---
                        Email: dorsett at netpath.net