jumbo frames

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu May 31 20:58:12 UTC 2001

On Thu, 31 May 2001, Lane Patterson wrote:

> 	"Mid-jumbo": say 4470: the idea is to make sure a backbone can
> 		preserve its MTU across both ethernet, ATM, and POS links
> 		within its diameter, and conceivably between networks via
> 		IX's that support jumbos.  This in fact may be critical
> 		for folks running large ISIS implementations that need
> 		to ration # of LSPs:

This is what I find most interesting. If we can just have GE support
basically the same size as POS etc, then it becomes much more useful.

Too bad ciscos 3GE card only supports 2450 MTU. The 1GE supports 9180 and
the PA-GE supports 4470. Oh joy, pick a standard, glad there are so many
to choose from.

It seems more newer L2 GE-switch manufacutrers support jumbo (real jumbo,
up to at least 8192, most of them even higher) than the older router
manufacturers (or is it just cisco?).

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se