More BW, Less Taxes

Daniel Senie dts at senie.com
Wed May 30 04:34:01 UTC 2001

At 12:15 AM 5/30/01, Joe Abley wrote:

>On Tue, May 29, 2001 at 11:59:12PM -0400, Alex Rubenstein wrote:
> > Fooey!
> >
> > > If you're across an ocean from the US, you have to factor in the cost of
> > > running underwater cable.
> >
> > If that is the case, why is it almost the same cost, if not more
> > expensive, to get a LA<>NY OC3 then a NY<>LND STM1?
>
>Depends on the terrain, and the rights of way you might have to
>purchase, but it's not uncommon for under-sea cable to be cheaper
>km for km than terrestrial cable.
>
>This is especially true in sparsely-populated island countries
>where target markets are on the coast, and where you can drop
>in for regen on land to avoid having to do it under the water [1].

Couldn't prove it by me... We were quoted $30,000/month for an E1 to
Bonaire (Netherlands Antilles). Every part of Bonaire is on the coast (max
distance on land is about 4km). Nice hunk of fiber running over to Curacao
(30 miles) then on to Miami. Nobody seems to know how to quote a circuit
over that fiber, though, other than the ISP on Curacao who quoted
$30,000/month.

Daniel Senie                                        dts at senie.com
Amaranth Networks Inc.                    http://www.amaranth.com