More BW, Less Taxes

Simon Lockhart simonl at rd.bbc.co.uk
Tue May 29 15:36:43 UTC 2001

>> >From what I've seen, there isn't a simple answer.  In places where bandwidth
>> is exorbantantly expensive (such as outside the United States), simply over
>> provisioning isn't an acceptable answer.

In Europe it's becoming cheaper too - especially to major cities.

>	Why does BW cost so much?

My personal feeling is "because people pay the price". This can be seen
from talks with a few carriers who are bringing up additional long-haul
fiber capacity, and when asked how that will affect the pricing, they just
say "We'll stay ahead of the competition".

Simon

--
Simon Lockhart                       |   Tel: +44 (0)1737 839676
Internet Engineering Manager         |   Fax: +44 (0)1737 839516
BBC Internet Services                | Email: Simon.Lockhart at bbc.co.uk
Kingswood Warren,Tadworth,Surrey,UK  |   URL: http://support.bbc.co.uk/