Mitch tries to defend his open relay again (was Re: ORBS (Re: Scanning))

John Fraizer nanog at Overkill.EnterZone.Net
Mon May 28 20:43:08 UTC 2001

OK folks.  Please.  Leave poor Mitch alone and maybe he'll realize that
this ISN'T the forum for him and go away.

If you want a huge laugh, (and want to give ole Mitch the /. or NANOG
effect) go check out http://www.netside.net/sys.html

"Network and Communications
NetSide is connected directly to the Internet backbone via a high speed
point-to-point full T1 link (1.544 Mbps) into the MCI backbone (at Pompano
Beach). A Cisco 4000 router is used to direct the in-house Ethernet TCP/IP
network traffic to and from the Internet. To help reduce the network load
and improve performance, two Ethernet 10-BaseT interfaces, connected to
separate AT&T StarLAN 10 hubs (with blinking lights :-) forming in effect
subnets, are used on the servers. Each subnet connects to a different
Ethernet port on the Cisco router."

That's some FAT pipe you have there Mitch. What EVER do you do with your
spare bandwidth?  heheheh And your network just blows me away.  I love the
"To help reduce the network load" part.  Where's the load?  You've got
serious issues if you can't pass a DS1 worth of traffic without your net
melting.

"Emergency Provisions
Besides redundant servers, NetSide is also prepared to operate in
emergency conditions, such as city-wide power failures as experienced
during Hurricane Andrew. Housed in a solid concrete block structure, we
don't expect heavy storm damage to occur. Our fiber rack (for telephone
and data lines) has 3 rows of battery backup rated for 8 hours of
continuous operation. NetSide owns 2 emergency generators: an extended-run
heavy-duty Coleman Powermate Vantage (14HP 2cyl electric start gas engine
- 7000W), and a portable medium-duty Dayton (5HP gas engine - 2200W)."

Wow!  So, you've got enough generator to power the lights, soda machine
and coffee maker.  You gonna invite all the customers to your site and sit
around and watch the servers not run drinking soda and coffee?  Sounds
like fun.

Mitch.  You're an END USER.  Sure, you sell dialup access.  You couldn't
do much more with that big FAT DS1 you've got.  You're an END
USER.

 9 border3-fddi-0.PompanoBeach.cw.net (204.70.92.19) [3561] 62.524 ms 60.403 ms 63.456 ms
10 netside-corporation.PompanoBeach.cw.net (204.70.95.18) [3561] 166.477 ms 198.570 ms 117.225 ms
11 205.159.140.2 (205.159.140.2) [3561] 195.153 ms * 194.081 ms

You see, if you were a real network operator:

(1) That would be more than a DS1.
(2) The last hop wouldn't show up with the ASN of your upstream.
(3) The last hop would RESOLVE in in-addr.

NetSide Corporation (NET-NETSIDE)
   P.O.Box 403895
   Miami Beach, FL 33140
   US

   Netname: NETSIDE
   Netblock: 205.159.140.0 - 205.159.140.255
   Maintainer: NETS

   Coordinator:
      Halmu, Mircea L.  (MLH3-ARIN)  admin at NETSIDE.NET
      305-531-1995

   Record last updated on 29-Oct-1998.
   Database last updated on 26-May-2001 22:57:19 EDT.

It might be a good idea to register some in-addr resolution servers for
that block there Mitch.

...Then again, why would we expect you to run any other portion of your
operation any more professionally than you run your mailserver?

I tell you what.  You rate right up there in my book.

Open Relay:		 1,000,000,000 points
Big FAT T1:		    10,000,000 points
Broken in-addr.arpa:	     5,999,550 points
HUBS not SWITCHES:	99,999,999,999 TILT! TILT! TILT!

---
John Fraizer
EnterZone, Inc