ORBS (Re: Scanning)

Steve Sobol sjsobol at NorthShoreTechnologies.net
Mon May 28 17:52:57 UTC 2001

Mitch Halmu wrote:

> Is there a rule that, except for local dial-in, we cannot offer the same
> services to a client located in a part of the world that we dont't have
> a dial-in POP as we offer to our local clients? Why shouldn't such clients
> be able to get their dial-in somewhere and the rest of their services from
> somewhere else? That includes using a remote SMTP server in the same way
> a local user can, period.

You *can* do all that. I prefer SMTP AUTH to POP-before-SMTP because PbS
leaves
a small vulnerability on your mail server - very small, but it exists
nonetheless.
But many providers use PbS too.

If this whole issue cropped up because you wanted to provide roaming
access
to your mail servers, those are two very widely-implemented solutions.
If you
want, I can even offer some help getting it set up as I have had a
longstanding
policy of offering relay-closing help at no charge to ISPs who need it.
The
only requirement is that you be running an MTA that I'm familiar with.

--
Tired of Earthlink? Get JustTheNet!
Nationwide Dialup, ISDN, DSL, ATM, Frame Relay, T-1, T-3, and more.