Mitch tries to defend his open relay again (was Re: ORBS (Re: Scanning))

J.D. Falk jdfalk at cybernothing.org
Mon May 28 01:44:02 UTC 2001

On 05/27/01, Mitch Halmu <mitch at netside.net> wrote:

> Is there a rule that, except for local dial-in, we cannot offer the same
> services to a client located in a part of the world that we dont't have
> a dial-in POP as we offer to our local clients? Why shouldn't such clients
> be able to get their dial-in somewhere and the rest of their services from
> somewhere else? That includes using a remote SMTP server in the same way
> a local user can, period.

	You have to balance that desire against your users' generally
	unspoken requirement that your service be functioning, usable,
	and able to deliver mail to its' final destination.  If this
	were any other kind of service that commonly requires user
	authentication (accounting, data storage, etc.) there wouldn't
	even be a question.

	And seriously, Mitch, when was the last time that you heard a
	new argument for why you should close your relay?  Since you're
	obviously unwilling to do so, what's the point of bringing it
	up again and again?

--
J.D. Falk                                                SILENCE IS FOO!
<jdfalk at cybernothing.org>