ORBS (Re: Scanning)

Albert Meyer albert at waller.net
Mon May 28 01:15:51 UTC 2001

At 10:35 AM 5/26/01 -0400, Christopher A. Woodfield wrote:

>About two years ago the <vijay> promising local ISP </vijay> I worked
>for saw the number or ORBS-listed hosts withing its netspace go from ~400
>to over 3,000 in one week. Among the listings was a class C where EVERY HOST,
>254 IPs, in the block was listed. Granted, each one was an open relay, but
>the
>point is that each IP was individually relay tested. When questioned about
>this, Alan Brown reponded that he had "received an unusually large number
>of nominations" for hosts in our netspace. Uh huh. Sure.

I really shouldn't contribute to this off-topic thread but I'm not very
good at resisting temptation.

Anyone who claims that ORBS doesn't scan is using an extremely narrow
definition of the word scanning. If you take a list of hundreds of IP
addresses, and relay-test every IP on that list, is that scanning? ORBS
supporters claim that it is not. Don't take my word for it, ask one. Try
something like "Didn't Alan Brown admit on SPAM-L back in 99 that he will
take a list of hundreds of addresses which is submitted by one of his
supporters and relay-test every IP on it, without any evidence that any
address on the list has ever delivered spam?"