ORBS (Re: Scanning)

Derek Balling dredd at megacity.org
Sun May 27 18:19:36 UTC 2001

At 11:10 AM -0700 5/27/01, Roeland Meyer wrote:
>  > I'm not sure I understand this logic:
>>
>>  1.) They test positive for orbs... so they ARE an open relay
>>  2.) That system is using MAPS, which means that there is some subset
>>  of systems the open relay itself rejects mail from
>
>I somehow missed your logic here. A MAPS blocked system is, by definition
>NOT an open-relay, since it IS MAPS-blocked. Yet, ORBS will list it as an
>open-relay. I agree, there is a disconnect here. Your second premis
>invalidates the first. This may be a semantic issue, please examine and
>clarify.

I think this is all a phrasology thing.

Assuming "a MAPS-blocked system" means a system that is
listed/blocked by MAPS as a spam source.

    Then your statement makes no sense because in all likelihood, that
host IS an open relay.

Assuming "a MAPS-blocked system" means a system that is partaking of
the MAPS lists to block inbound mail to it

    Then your statement further makes no sense, because any
non-MAPS-listed host could (in theory) send mail to/through that
system. If the system using MAPS is an open relay, then
non-MAPS-listed hosts could quite happily/easily pump mail through
that system regardless of whether or not it is using MAPS.

So in conclusion - unless you're defining a third case, I don't know
what you're talking about. :)

>I might point out that, since MAPS has been running for a few years, most if
>not all, the spammer sources are now listed.

I think my personal evidence (that about 90-95% of my spam that is
blocked is NOT from MAPS sources) does not seem to bear that out.

If you really believe your above statement, there's a wonderful
slightly used bridge I'd love to sell you.

| dredd at megacity.org  | "Conan! What is best in life?"          |
|  Derek J. Balling   | "To crush your enemies, see them        |
|                     |    driven before you, and to hear the   |
|                     |    lamentation of their women!"         |