EMAIL != FTP

Adam Rothschild asr at latency.net
Sat May 26 19:48:54 UTC 2001

On Sat, May 26, 2001 at 12:34:11AM -0700, Roeland Meyer wrote:
> Have you ever setup an Apache web server (or any other)? Create a
> random binary file and call it something.xyz (or any other extention
> not defined in your mime-type) and see if ANY browser will load it
> as something other than garbage.

NANOG != Apache support and sympathy forum.  Might I suggest
<http://httpd.apache.org/docs/>, specifically the section pertaining
to mime.types?

On Sat, May 26, 2001 at 01:01:34AM -0700, Roeland Meyer wrote:
> You miss the point. It's what the users want. They are not
> interested in maximizing efficiency <gasp>. They are into what
> works. They don't give a flip how.

And referencing URL's in e-mail, rather than flooding people with
large binary attachments, is perfectly efficient and functional.

On Sat, May 26, 2001 at 08:38:22AM -0700, Roeland Meyer wrote:
> So, why were they dialing international when ATT WorldNet is
> closer/cheaper?  Could it be because they'd have had to have opened
> the server for relaying, from ATT, in order to do that? The
> anti-openrelay crowd raised your friend's cost there by $4.90 per
> minute +VAT, by FORCING them to use international dialup instead.

And this is bad how?  I'd very surprised if AT&T does not operate SMTP
relays for roaming dial customers to use.  Failing that, there are
many means of granting mobile users authenticated access to your
relays, without opening them up for abuse, which have been outlined in
greater detail earlier.

This is not 1995.  Running an open relay today is just plain
irresponsible, and offers _no_ operational benefit.  Stubborn people
who think otherwise deserve to be blackholed.  Period.

> I was in the same position (London) last year and had my servers
> ORBS listed, even though they were only exposed for two weeks and
> they never saw spam being relayed. ORBS listing is cheaper than
> international phone charges, VAT or no VAT.

If you don't want to get listed in the ORBS, don't run an open relay,
or prevent them from scanning you.  If this is too difficult too
implement, or the negative impact on your business resulting from
commonly-accepted responsible operational practices is too severe,
then you can deal with the consequences of being blackholed by ORBS
subscribers.  Your choice.

-adam