Acceptable limits of latency

Masataka Ohta mohta at necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp
Sat May 26 11:34:35 UTC 2001

Sean;

> Gamers are very away of network latency, and can produce
> fairly decent reports describing what is important to
> them.
>
> Here is a nice report I saw on slashdot about the limits
> of acceptable latency for Quake gamers.
>
> http://members.home.net/garmitage/things/quake3-latency-051701.html

It may be interpreted as an acceptable packet loss ratio at which
observed latency is common.

Or, it may be just that at the queue length for the latency,
RED algorithm of common routers start dropping significant
amount of packets.

						Masataka Ohta

PS

FYI, if you ignore diffserve hype, it is easy to reduce latency
below 150msec with scalable per-flow resource reservation, though
it will be charged proportional to the length of reservation.