EMAIL != FTP

Mitch Halmu mitch at netside.net
Fri May 25 16:49:56 UTC 2001

On Fri, 25 May 2001, John Fraizer wrote:

> On Fri, 25 May 2001, Mitch Halmu wrote:
>
> > If you were a dial-up user, chances are you wouldn't be able to do that.
>
> REALLY? Lets check this out.
>
> > A few simple reasons come to mind: first, you wouldn't have any or not
> > enough disk space on your system account (limited by quota) to store the
> > file.
>
> Have you thought about that before sending a large file via email to
> someone?  Many provides include your email spool in your quota.  Beyond
> that, there are TONS of free hosting providers out there so your arguement
> there is moot.

And many don't. Remember, it has to work for all.

> > Second, an average user probably wouldn't have the skill.
>
> Huh?  You're joking, right?  Believe it or not Mitch, the rest of the
> internet population isn't just sitting around sucking up oxygen from
> brain-children like you.  If they're competent enough to create a large
> presentation, they're competent enough to upload it somewhere.  They can
> drag and drop with any number of FTP applications.  Moot arguement.

Ever tried to explain to Joe user what FTP is? DeeAnn Mikula answered
that one to the point.

> > Third, a .zip file will usually display as funny characters on a web
> > browser - that's why ftp is needed.
>
> Only if they're running REALLY, REALLY old browsers or the server itself
> is sending an incorrect mime-type for the .zip extension.  Beyond that,
> they can right-click on the link and do a "save-as" so, this one is moot
> as well.

Some still do. Just pointing out potential problems.

> > Fourth, you probably wouldn't have shell access and ftp space from
> > your provider with a regular account.
>
> Please see "free hosting providers" above.  MOOT.

Well, for one, free stuff on the Internet is comatose.
http://www.dotcomeon.com/free.html

Second, don't tell me that a user should be required to have both a
paid account and a freebie just to be able to handle large files.

> > Fifth, assuming you would have all the toys, you would have to spend
> > yourself the time to first upload the file, so that another may
> > retrieve it.
>
> OK.  How is that any different that the time it takes you to send the file
> to the SMTP server?  MOOT!

Some may compose a message off-line, and have it sent unattended with other
unsent messages when they go online.

> > Sixth, if your file was a sensitive document, others
> > would have public access to it, etc.
>
> Ever hear of .htaccess?  It's REALLY neat.  If you think your file is safe
> from prying eyes in email, you've got more problems than not understanding
> basic authentication on a webserver though.  You should stop argueing your
> invalid, moot points and spend that precious time reevaluating your
> security policy.

Joe user doesn't know about .htaccess, nor does he care. He just wants his
document sent out like now! Joe doesn't see why he should jump through
more hoops than his buddy on a competing service anyway.

Besides, you will now have to confirm that the intended party retrieved
the document, then go back in and delete it.

> > So what's a regular user to do? Email it!
>
> No.  That's what the uneducated newbie does.  The regular user uploads it
> to their http/ftp server and sends a link to the file via email.

We do provide 10MB of personal web space with every account since 1995.
Guess how many users even have web pages up? Many simply don't care.

> > Hence the legitimate use of email for transmission of large files.
>
> Please don't breed.

Some other brave souls dared to disagree.

> > Most ISPs know that if they start limiting this privilege, users will
> > migrate to someone that allows it.
>
> If you educate your users, you have no problems.
>

> ---
> John Fraizer
> EnterZone, Inc

John, we provide a service, and don't run a training camp. Most people
wouldn't agree to the punishment you want to subject them to anyway.

--Mitch
NetSide