EMAIL != FTP

Mitch Halmu mitch at netside.net
Fri May 25 15:46:12 UTC 2001

On Fri, 25 May 2001, Greg Maxwell wrote:

> On Fri, 25 May 2001, Mitch Halmu wrote:
> [snip]
> > file. Second, an average user probably wouldn't have the skill. Third, a
> > .zip file will usually display as funny characters on a web browser -
> > that's why ftp is needed. Fourth, you probably wouldn't have shell access
> [snip]
>
> Web browsers will only display 'funny characters' for .zip files if they
> don't have their mime-types sufficently configured.

Or it they are old, and the only reason to upgrade is to get some
weird new application going.

You do have always the latest and greatest software handy, right?
None of that hand-it-down legacy stuff. Users must now go out and buy
a new PC every year just to keep up with the Joneses. What, you still
have those old-fashioned fins on yours? Fins are out!

I just threw out a little mountain of 3B1 and 3B2 AT&T boxes, cca 20
years old. Can't find parts for them anymore, but the squirrel was
still running in the threadmill cage inside. Still have fond memories
of writing a dissertation in vi.

Besides, we don't know what the zipped file contains. It could be a
bunch of funny characters for those who dare not use a PC.

--Mitch
NetSide