Stealth Blocking

Shawn McMahon smcmahon at eiv.com
Fri May 25 11:33:52 UTC 2001

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 05:49:54PM -0700, Roeland Meyer wrote:

> Guys, there are more cases that may look like an open relay, but really
> aren't.

I don't see how you can have a false positive on an open relay test.  Either
it allows you to send a test email through, or it doesn't.  If it does,
it is by definition open.

Unless you mistakenly test a site that considers you to be a customer
and has specifically allowed relaying for you.  But for somebody to
do that for ORBS, say, would be like calling them up and leaving a
voicemail saying "please block me, I dare you."