Splitting a block of Class C's

Albert Meyer albert at waller.net
Fri May 25 01:11:23 UTC 2001

At 07:39 PM 5/24/01 -0500, Andy wrote:
>It really depends on what you *want* to do. If the /24's you have assigned
>to them are non-contiguous then they will want to renumber anyway so they
>can advertise an aggregate. If you want to help them out, tell them to go
>ahead and advertise the /24's out of your aggregate. Some providers have
>stricter filtering, but generally will be reachable through other
>providers, so connectivity isn't a big deal. Sprint should be advertising
>an aggregate of your IP space which will bring all traffic to their
>network. Once it reaches Sprint's network, the more specific routes your
>customer is advertising will go to them and the rest will come to you. I
>can't see that this would add any additional load to your router.
>
>andy

It may not be that simple. I guess I should have mentioned that I don't
route anything through Sprint. The only reason I've kept the Sprint circuit
is to avoid re-IP-ing. Sprint isn't reliable enough to carry customer
traffic. I do advertise the Sprint route, but I add a couple of hops to
make sure the traffic goes through my "real" circuit.