Stealth Blocking

Roeland Meyer rmeyer at mhsc.com
Fri May 25 00:49:54 UTC 2001

On that same page, I found this very interesting. The part about false
positive, to normal relay testing, got my attention.

Guys, there are more cases that may look like an open relay, but really
aren't.

<quote>
Escalating Credentials
Curently deployed in Laser Link network

Amalgamation of two mechanisms:

POP-before-SMTP

Rate limiting

Count mail from originating IP address

Disadvantages:

Complex implementation

Will users accept upper limit?

False positive to conventional relay testing
</quote>