Splitting a block of Class C's

Albert Meyer albert at waller.net
Thu May 24 21:40:57 UTC 2001

One of my ISP clients is leaving, and the person who was assigning IP's
when they became our client chose to give them class C's scattered
throughout our block. These are Sprint IP's which are assigned to us with
our Sprint circuit. Our former client is getting a Sprint T1 and asking
Sprint to route these class C's to them rather than us, and they tell me
that Sprint appears willing. They don't have an AS, but they're getting
another local ISP to advertise the IP's for them. I normally wouldn't agree
to participate in such a mess, but we're shutting off the Sprint circuit in
a couple of months, and I can't see making them re-IP hundreds of domains
under the circumstances. Has anyone done something like this? I'm wondering
how much it will increase the CPU load on my router. I'm already running at
20% average, and if it gets much over that I start dropping ICMP packets. I
know enough BGP to stop advertising the appropriate class C's, but I'm not
sure that this won't cause problems that I haven't considered. Will anyone
refuse to accept advertisements which send adjacent /24's to different
places? Is this an officially "broken" setup, or is it just ugly?