Stealth Blocking

Christopher B. Zydel czydel at cv.net
Thu May 24 02:00:38 UTC 2001

On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 07:02:45PM -0700, Roeland Meyer wrote:
> [...]

Wow, this text was incredibly ambiguous.

"Currently, the most common reason for a host or network being in the MAPS RBLSM  is that it was used by a spammer as a mail relay. We call this third party relay spamming  since the owner of the mail relay is neither a spammer nor a spamee." - http://www.mail-abuse.org/rbl/candidacy.html#ByRelaying

Does MAPS cover other things as well?  Certainly.

"Blackholing Due to Spam Origination (Then)
Blackholing Due to Spam Origination (Now)
Blackholing Due to Spam Relaying
Blackholing Due to Spam Support Services
Blackholing Due to Netblock Inheritance"

Now for the removal process:

"If we are contacted, a staff member will confirm that the listed site is no longer relaying spam. If it is not relaying, the site will be unlisted, usually within a few minutes of the email or phone call.

If the site is still permitting relay, the listing will continue unless there is a clear and short timeline to get anti-relay code deployed."

The language seems pretty plain to me.