Stealth Blocking

David Schwartz davids at webmaster.com
Wed May 23 22:11:27 UTC 2001

> > > Third, the new 'rule' MAPS just came up with now is that you
> > > must keep your
> > > server open to their 'testing', or they'll blackhole you. See
> > > for yourself:
> > > http://www.dotcomeon.com/nph-rss-remove-blocking.html
> > > That is the reason given for blocking us the second time
> > > around. No new
> > > 'evidence', just open wide for inspection and say ahhh...

> > Uhhh... so how do you propose that relays are tested to make
> > sure they're
> > closed before being removed from the database?

> This is the very thing they considered abusive just a few months ago.
> Wasn't it MAPS that blocked ORBS for scanning Abovenet's ports in the
> first place? So now they took their rival's worst rules and made it their
> own. Now it's my turn to say absolute rubbish.

	You're obscuring a very fundamental difference. ORBS scans everyone, with
no provocation. This is like checking if your neighbor's gun is loaded while
it's in his safe. MAPS scans those who have created problems for its
customers in the past. This is like checking if your neighbor's gun is
loaded while it's pointing at you.

	Once you connect to me, and in so doing create a problem for me, you have
no right to complain when I connect back to you. But if you connect to me
without provocation to search me for vulnerabilities, that's a horse of
another color.

	DS