Stealth Blocking

Scott Francis scott at virtualis.com
Wed May 23 20:12:48 UTC 2001

On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 12:41:52PM -0400, Mitch Halmu exclaimed:

> ORBS is a foreign entity. Out of reach. Vixie is ante portas. American, like
> you and me. Blackmailing American providers, breaking state and federal laws
> with impunity. People that subscribe to the blackhole lists probably have no
> idea who in particular they are blocking or to what extent. Or even why.

s/blackmailing/blackholing/i - and you have to remember, Vixie isn't blocking
anybody's traffic (except for networks he operates). Individual operators that
subscribe to MAPS choose what traffic to block or not block to their own
networks. There's no blackmail there, and certainly no laws saying that I must
accept whatever traffic anybody on the Net wants to send my way.

Let's keep this argument in the bounds of reality, at least.

--
Scott Francis                scott@ [work:] v i r t u a l i s . c o m
Systems Analyst          darkuncle@ [home:] d a r k u n c l e . n e t