Query: What policies do backbone providers use to determine IP ownership?

Daniel Golding dan at netrail.net
Wed May 23 16:14:09 UTC 2001

Customers want to be able to multihome. This is not an unreasonable desire,
and it is what they are, ostensibly, paying us  for.

Your main complaint seems to be advertisement of individual netblocks from
larger aggregates. While this does contribute to the growth of the internet
routing table, this is an artifact of the way routing processes and BGP
work, rather than any fault from your customers. What are your customer's
options for multihoming?

1) Advertise smaller blocks out of larger aggregates to other providers
2) Get their own, PI space, and advertise it - if they are large enough to
obtain it. Of course, this causes one or more additional route announcements
as well.
3) The customer sucks it up, and sticks with a single provider

Clearly, most customers are going with #1 or #2, which will increase the
size of the routing table. They can minimize this by renumbering into
consecutive address space, but that assumes that this greatly disrupt their
business, and that they can indeed get a quantity of consecutive space from
an upstream.

"It seems that other providers are allowing our customers to hijack our
routing space piece by piece."

Is your complaint that other providers aren't calling you to get permission
to route your space? Although there may be some disagreement on the
etiquette of routing other provider's blocks, if someone has a block swip'ed
to them, that's pretty much license to route that block through a secondary
provider, unless the policy of the original provider specifically forbids
it. And in that case, the duty is on the customer to know his provider's
policies, rather than on the second provider to somehow research the
policies of the first provider. Of course, in the absence of affirmative
WHOIS information stating that a customer has the right to advertise a
block, it's wise to get written permission from the "owner of the block".

The routing table will increase in size, as the number of issued AS numbers
go up, as multihoming increases, as new address space is advertised.
However, current core router hardware is more than capable of dealing with
this growth. I certainly encourage customers to aggregate wherever possible.
However, requiring renumbering is a heavy, and unnecessary burden.

Multihoming has become part of basic transit service functionality.

- Daniel Golding

Tony Mumm Said....