Stealth Blocking

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed May 23 15:08:26 UTC 2001

On Wed, 23 May 2001 10:33:11 EDT, Mitch Halmu said:
> Second, open relays were the norm until Paul Vixie decided you should do
> otherwise. And in many cases, he convinced thy by brute force that his
> way is the right way is the only way. But it wasn't the legal way. Most

This is *so* bass-ackwards it isn't funny.

Open relays were the norm until people realized that they were getting abused.
The clueful were already closing their relays back then.  Vixie started
providing the MAPS service because clueful people wanted to protect themselves
against idiots.

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure that both ORBS and the now-defunct DorkSlayers
databases actually pre-date the MAPS project.  So obviously there was
a demand for the service before Vixie started it up.

And as was already pointed out, spam-l and news.admin.net-abuse.email are
probably more appropriate fora  for this discussion...

--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst