A question on CE to PE route exchanges ...

Dave Israel davei at biohazard.demon.digex.net
Sun May 20 23:55:13 UTC 2001

Oops... I answered this privately, assuming NANOG at large would
not be interested.  The issue here is that Cisco will tend to
add IGP routes to the default table, not the VPN table.  Bad
things ensue.

I was actually referring to the CE interface address; peering
with the CE's loopback is, IMHO, more trouble than its worth
unless you have multiple connections on the same router.  But
as long as the address you are peering with is in the private
routing table, you're fine, regardless of whether or not it is
also in the default table.

I cannot speak to the "most common;" I think it is too early
to tell.  But we are tending towards static routes (nice and
stable, without the chance of the other guy breaking you)
and BGP (which is already designed to handle trans-border
communication.)

I have not tried it, but I would assume the OSPF area "repair"
toys would work nicely over this, if you want an IGP running
across your CE routers.  (I'm more of an ISIS guy than an
OSPF guy... anybody know why this would blow up in your face?)

-Dave