heads up on 80/8 [actually operational, so don't read this!!!]

Philip Smith pfs at cisco.com
Thu May 17 12:14:07 UTC 2001

TBH, a new /7 or /8, whatever, going in to production anywhere on the
planet should be announced to the regional operators lists (NANOG, APOPS,
EOF and AfNOG). Hopefully the registry folks can add that little chore to
the long list of other things they have to think of...

Or maybe IANA could widen the announcement next time? This was the original
from John:

 >From: "John Crain" <crain at icann.org>
 >To: <routing-wg at ripe.net>, <lir at ripe.net>
 >Subject: 80/8 and 81/8 allocated to the RIPE NCC
 >Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 13:47:21 -0700
 >
 >FYI:
 >
 >This is just a quick heads up, my apologies if you recieve duplicate copies.
 >
 >IANA has recently allocated the following address ranges to the RIPE NCC
 >Regional Internet Registry.
 >
 >80.0.0.0 - 81.255.255.255
 >
 >These will start to be allocated to ISPs shortly.
 >
 >You may wish to adjust any filters you have in place accordingly.
 >
 >John Crain
 >ICANN

philip