People who purchase unproven technologies...DSL

Greg Maxwell gmaxwell at martin.fl.us
Mon May 14 14:25:17 UTC 2001

On Mon, 14 May 2001, Shawn McMahon wrote:

> On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 07:53:50AM -0400, mike harrison wrote:
> >
> > > Why would anyone purchase dsl to run their business on. Let me guess, the
> > > price was right.
> >
> > I would call it a proven technology, but a very poor business model.
> > And xDSL is definately not for mission critical operations.
>
> x is sometimes "H".
>
> Are you sure you want to say HDSL is not for mission-critical operations?

Setting a trap here?

xDSL, where x = S/H, as a physical carrier (and set of modulation schemes)
is a tried and proven technoligy, often used today by telcos to carry T1s
over longer spans with less need for repeating equipment.

The model of xDSL internet service (differing from xDSL as a way to carry
T1s), on the other hand....