10 gige experience

Richard A. Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu May 10 18:20:10 UTC 2001

On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 11:12:21AM -0400, Greg Maxwell wrote:

> On Thu, 10 May 2001, John Fraizer wrote:
>
> > > Anyone know any good articles on 10GB ethernet? I am specifically
> > > intrested if they have removed some of the legacy requirements that
> > > hamper gigabit ethernet (such as a default MTU of 1500, half-duplex,
> > > etc.)
> >
> > Half-duplex?  The last time I checked, my GigE equipment didn't default
> > to half-duplex.
>
> No I wouldn't expect it to, nor did I state anything about defaulting
> to half. There is no purpose for half-duplex in GIGE, even the few
> GIGE hubs I've seen are buffered and user congestion control to allow
> full duplex operation.  The possibility of half-duplex mode just adds
> unneeded cruft and additional failure modes.

If it didn't support half-duplex, it wouldn't technically be 802.3
ethernet. Full duplex is what happens when you remove CSMA/CD.

I'm sure 99% of people out there have absolutily no need or desire for
half duplex gige or 10gige, and I'm also sure 99% of people out there
would be far better served by a larger MTU. Unfortunantly it's the other
1% at IEEE who write the spec.