Common language? [was re: black hat .cn networks]

David Diaz davediaz at iwcinc.net
Thu May 10 16:20:55 UTC 2001

For whatever it's worth, the official language of aviation worldwide
is English.  It is a standard and a requirement in towers.  Reality
is that they most likely speak "aviation English" is remote airports.
Just enough so pilots can understand where to put the plane and were
not to.  So a common language can be chosen.

My experience with the issue occured a few years back.  Doing some
work with a large Columbian conglomerate, they sent over they top
admins for a meeting in the US.  We had native speakers (from Cuba)
who were also 20-25 year UNIX admin veterans.  A funny thing
happened... they could not speak common Spanish UNIX.  Each group had
local terms created for items as simply as Email.  I found it very
interesting that we basically had to go back to describing something
like a car as "that thing we sit in with 4 wheels that takes us
places...."

It was an eye opening experience.  I do not believe having
internationally recognized words such as Email, File system, Disk are
bad. English is a bastard language with lots of foreign words.  In
Florida most Spanish speakers use SpanGlish which is a combination of
Spanish with very useful English words thrown in.  It works, and even
English only speaks have a good idea of what the conversation is.
(Yes, it's always about them!! :-)  )

dd