Abuse notification in Chinese (was:black hat .cn networks)

Masataka Ohta mohta at necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp
Thu May 10 00:49:07 UTC 2001

Hardie;

> 	When I render it as UTF-8, the text is composed of valid
> simplified chinese characters.  It may be that your mailer (exchange
> V6, apparently) is converting it to UTF-8 from whatever encoding you
> are composing in.  As you no doubt know, GB2312 will be most widely
> understood as an encoding in Mainland China, so disabling that
> conversion will probably a good idea.

Various people in various places in the world are using various
encoding schemes for various purposes.

Unicode was an attempt to unify them.

Microsoft contributed a lot.

As usual, the attempt resulted in additional several encoding
schemes (such as UTF-8, UTF-16) none of which is useful for any
purpose.

Honest people have already abandoned it. The rest are now working
on unifying localization schemes of domain names, which is wrongly
labeled as IDN (Internationalized Domain Name).

Use GB2312 with EUC, if you want to communicate with people
in mainland China.

						Masataka Ohta

PS

Japanese use ISO-2022-JP encoding for email only.

Though hosts support their host-local encoding, ISO-2022-JP is the
encoding for email.

Situationis worse with WWW.

> Daryl,
> 	It's actually in UTF-8 encoding.  Somehow I missed the charset
> part of the mime type in the original headers:

AS ISO-2022-JP is compatible with other ISO 2022 based encoding scheme
such as ASCII, we don't need MIME and its charset label.