Instant chats and central servers

Eric Pree eric at whisc.net
Wed May 9 02:12:11 UTC 2001

I've had rather good luck with various servers (IRC, smtp, pop) and stunnel
(www.stunnel.org).
It's all transparent to the server/client, and works quite nicely.  I think
I once hooked up to the SSL-only IRC network with mIRC via stunnel, worked
quite nice.  *nix/win32, GPL.

This being said, I currently run a IRC server (cyclone) for the company to
use for various things, and once you show someone how to use it, they're
quite happy.  You can even set mIRC to be as annoying as a IM when a new
line shows up.  ie, blinking, sounds, etc.  In fact, I'm looking around for
a web-->IRC gateway so that we can use it for support via the website.  Each
session gets their own channel that a tech is added to.  Should work good.

--Eric