black hat .cn networks

John Fraizer nanog at Overkill.EnterZone.Net
Tue May 8 18:51:49 UTC 2001

On Tue, 8 May 2001, Franklin Lian wrote:

> that news couple of years ago both in English and Chinese.  The
> hacker actually was executed for stealing millions of dollars from
> a bank he used work for, NOT for HACKING.  According to Chinese law,
> any criminal commited to crime that evolves more than $100,000
> (the exact number might be wrong) can be sentenced to death.

The story I read had it as two individuals.  The not-so-bright one who had
access to the bank and the bright one who designed and built a device to
put inline at the bank.  The device diverted the equiv of pennies per
transaction that passed through it to a bank account that the two had set
up somewhere.  It was a brilliant scheme.  They screwed up by trying to
withdrawl huge amounts of money at a time.  THAT's what got them caught.

The point the person was trying to make is still valid though.  It would
not take long to come up with $100,000 worth of damages.

---
John Fraizer
EnterZone, Inc