HR 1542 [OT, anti-BS attempt, US]

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at civicnet.org
Mon May 7 22:13:32 UTC 2001

On Mon, 7 May 2001, M. David Leonard wrote:

> 	Maybe you feel comfortable with the extent of regulation you see
> (or think you see) in Florida but after a few years on the cable
> advisory board in Greenfield, Massachusetts, I can tell you that there is
> no effective regulation here.  I seriously doubt that there is meaningful
> cable regulation anywhere but I am willing to be corrected.  At least in
> Massachusetts, cable advisory boards are a sick joke.

I'll second that. I serve on the Newton, MA cable board and consult to a
number of cities around the country.

In MA, the state Dept. of Telecom. and Energy tends to preempt local
boards whenever they try to regulate. It's not too much better anywhere
else.

The Center for Civic Networking 	    PO Box 600618
Miles R. Fidelman, President &		    Newtonville, MA 02460-0006
Director, Municipal Telecommunications
Strategies Program			    617-558-3698 fax: 617-630-8946
mfidelman at civicnet.org	 		    http://civic.net/ccn.html

Information Infrastructure: Public Spaces for the 21st Century
Let's Start With: Internet Wall-Plugs Everywhere
Say It Often, Say It Loud: "I Want My Internet!"