Cable & Wireless "de-peering"?!?

Peter van Dijk peter at dataloss.nl
Mon May 7 21:55:29 UTC 2001

On Mon, May 07, 2001 at 06:45:13PM +0200, Peter van Dijk wrote:
[snip]

>  Unet is, for example, one of the few (if not the only) ISP in The
> Netherlands that charges for *peering* (no, not transit, just peering).

I stand corrected on this bit. UUnet just has quite strong peering
requirements. Anybody wanting to exchange traffic with UUnet while
being unable to comply must become a customer, therefore.

> More and more clued people I know are avoiding UUnet because they
> don't peer with the small but quickly growing ISPs. Most UUnet
> customers are getting worse and worse connectivity as other ISPs stop
> peering with UUnet, because UUnet is becoming less and less important.
> A nice downward spiral.

I do still think UUnet is in a downward spiral, just like C&W. Strong
peering policies are not good for the Internet.

Greetz, Peter.