HR 1542

Roy garlic at garlic.com
Mon May 7 17:22:00 UTC 2001

The latest FCC rules prevent very much control over cable companies by the
city.  The city no longer has rate control nor can they attach provisions such
as "open access".   The cable company can't have a "monopoly" either but then
again, neither can the ILEC.  How many overbuilds are there?  An insignificant
few.

One tactic would be for a city to declare eminent domain and take over all
wiring (telco and cable) and run it absolutely open.  I am not sure I really
want to go there though.