Cable & Wireless "de-peering"?!?

Tony Mumm tonym at netins.net
Sun May 6 07:44:21 UTC 2001

I feel I have to comment on the second point of your e-mail.  It makes
clear points as the how each provider is going to take full
responsibility for their peering decisions.

I have seen a trend where Tier 1's (nation-wide large carriers - don't
want to debate the term too much) are willing to offer transit contracts
to regional or tier2 nationals at cost, or only at a very small margin.
This move by C&W to begin charging for those providers seems to be a
very large departure from this method.

As we all know, the value of the big player, is how many people they are
connected to.  It seems that providers are willing to take a a risk by
either peering or selling very cheap transit in order to appear as a
well connected ISP to the rest of the Internet.

My concern now, after reading this, is how do I know value the ISPs that
I buy transit from.  What is the guarantees that I have that the
bandwidth I expect from a transit carrier is going to be maintained.

I have been a long time customer of C&W well into the MCI days.  While I
have had my difficulties, I feel that they have been a solid carrier.
However, it has been a struggle lately to keep more and more traffic on
their backbone.   This whole thread seems to be the cause.

In summary, my question is this:

	Does a peering policy like this make sense?

My answer to this is:  It may, but it is forsaking two different types
of customers.    The first, the tier 1/2 customers that is now enforcing
a tariff against.  The second, regional carriers that can no longer
afford to purchase second rate transit.

So, how can I justify paying C&W for this bandwidth that day by day may
be losing value.

I'd be interested to hear how many people that feel that C&W's decisions
affects their direction for connectivity.

Tony