HR 1542

Steve Sobol sjsobol at NorthShoreTechnologies.net
Sat May 5 20:46:29 UTC 2001

"Joseph T. Klein" wrote:

> Hmmm .... I don't think this improves competition.

> Joseph T. Klein                                         +1 414 915 7489
> Senior Network Engineer                                 jtk at titania.net
> Adelphia Business Solutions                joseph.klein at adelphiacom.com

[Joseph, this mini-rant is not directed specifically at you, so please
do not take it personally.]

I felt compelled to answer this. You work for a company operating in
another industry that is doing much the same thing! I don't see Adelphia's
cable Internet services in Cleveland being opened to other ISPs. (Yes,
I know that Adelphia just entered the market about a year ago, and yes,
I know that the cablemodem rollout is far from complete.) Time
Warner isn't, either. I heard about them doing it in about a dozen test
markets (Central Ohio being one of them) but haven't heard anything since
then. To the south of my home, RoadRunner is *huge* in Akron, Canton
and Columbus. But it's the same old song and dance...

And I don't understand why every single ISP (regardless of size) isn't
doing more to stand up for open access. Ultimately, it will become an
issue of survival.

--
Tired of Earthlink? Get JustTheNet!
Nationwide Dialup, ISDN, DSL, ATM, Frame Relay, T-1, T-3, and more.