terminal server recommendation

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Wed May 2 07:25:17 UTC 2001

On Wed, May 02, 2001, John Fraizer wrote:

> I'm just currious.  I've seen sevaral posts over the past few months
> regarding TACACS and RADUIS being used for authentication for term servers
> that are used for OOB access to devices.  Something just isn't making
> sense here.  If you need to use the device to access something OOB, has it
> perhaps come to your attention that it is quite possible that YOUR IPV4
> NETWORK CONNECTION TO YOUR TSERVER IS MOST LIKELY DOWN AS WELL and as
> such, IT CAN'T AUTHENTICATE YOU TO THE TACACS OR RADIUS SERVER?

You can configure "default" passwords which are used if your
authentication servers are down.

.. you guys do this, right? :-)

> Thank you for letting me get that off my chest.

Welcome. :)

> I welcome enlightenment from those who see past the gotcha I've outlined
> above.

I'm sure you can find example configurations for this on cisco's
website. :-)

In any case, it is certainly plausible that you'd need OOB access to
a device that you can't get IP connectivity to but you can get
connectivity to the local term server. Think "crashed server".
Or "broken flash". Or "Failed remote software upgrade".

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd			"Two hundred and thirty-three thousand
<adrian at creative.net.au>	  times the speed of light.