dsl providers that will route /24

John Fraizer nanog at Overkill.EnterZone.Net
Fri Mar 30 08:18:54 UTC 2001

David Schwartz <davids at webmaster.com> spewed:

> 	The important thing to realize is that neither of these situations is
> ideal. That is, filters don't solve the problem. We need to acknowledge that

Filters don't solve the problem.  That I'll agree to.  Filters prevent it
from being MY problem when your dumbass customer has a dumbass customer
who has a shell server that is r00ted and becomes a DoS source.  How can
you be so blind?

> we have a problem and don't have a solution to it. Only then will the
> problem be analyzed, solutions proposed, and implemented.

The problem is people like you who refuse to filter.  If you filter, you
can only be the problem if the SOURCE ip addresses belong to YOU!  If your
customers want to do mobile IP, no problem.  Have them register with your
NOC what IP addresses they'll be sourcing.  Then, YOU register as an
origin for those IP addresses in (pick your database that is mirrored in
RADB).   *THEN* if your customer causes a problem, we know who to
contact by looking at not only ARIN but also RADB.

> 	I don't know, I'm not smart enough to solve the problem by myself. All I

...And it appears you're too stubborn to fix what portion of the problem
you have control over.

> can do is keep yelling as loudly as I can that there is a problem and that
> we do need a really good solution.

And all I can say is that if I find out that you're network is the source
of a DoS towards mine, I'll do whatever necessarry, no matter the
consequences to your network, to minimize the damage to my network.  This
includes ANYTHING I can think of to make the problem (read YOUR
NETWORK) go away.

> 	DS

I won't even go there.

---