Roaring Penguin - Re: PPPoE server software?

Henry Yen henry at AegisInfoSys.com
Tue Mar 27 22:07:14 UTC 2001

On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 04:26:45AM -0500, Karl wrote:
> I recalled reading a PPPoE thread on a list a few months ago, so I grepped
> around and found something on the Mid-Atlantic LUG archives:
> http://boudicca.tux.org/mhonarc/ma-linux/2000/2000-Oct/msg00229.html
>
> At that page, Billy Ball breifly sketches out how you can set up PPPoE
> with tools from roaring penguin:  http://www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe/
>
> If you can't find everything you were looking for on the roaring penguin
> page, and msg00229, you might find tweaks in the PPPoE threads here:
> http://boudicca.tux.org/mhonarc/ma-linux/2000/2000-Oct/index.html
>

> I hope the two first URLs give you the PPPoE server leads you were looking
> for.

> On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, Matt Cramer wrote:
> > We are looking to test various DSL modems and routers in our lab, but
> > can't get a DSL connection put in that building according to Verizon.
> > I'd like to simulate one by running my own PPPoE server (my purpose is
> > to test the various SOHO routers on the market, particularly the
> > Linksys and the Cisco).
> >
> > If anyone has any information about doing this, such as pointers to
> > PPPoE server software (I'd prefer to do it with linux or BSD), I would
> > appreciate the info.

linux kernel 2.4 supports (for some flavors of "support", i suppose)
PPPOE in the kernel.  i think suse 7.1 is the only non-beta, shipping
2.4-kernel-enabled distribution available at retail at the moment.

also, just try google.  there are thousands of hits; the first page or
two seems to have all the information you might want regarding "pppoe linux".
--
Henry Yen                                       Aegis Information Systems, Inc.
Senior Systems Programmer                       Hicksville, New York