MBone access

Marshall Eubanks tme at 21rst-century.com
Tue Mar 27 21:09:36 UTC 2001

Jared Mauch wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 03:09:09PM -0500, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
> > > mcast#sho ip msdp count
> > > SA State per ASN Counters, <asn>: <# sources>/<# groups>
> > >     Total entries: 2044
> > >
> > > You are missing ASN: 87, 777, 818, 2457, 2607,
> > > 3756, 11808.
> > >

> > These all post-date my list (except maybe as 2607) - looks like I need to update my list.
> >

>         The other thing is a lot of people have mbgp+msdp but
> don't have a source/receiver right now (AS8011 for example) but
> have connectivity to multicast internet.
>
>         I'm curious what barriers are keeping multicast from being
> deployed at the edges.  Does your upstream not support
> multicast connectivity, or is it an education issue in getting
> connected?
>
>         Should someone do a presentation @ NANOG on how to configure
> multicast in the pim-sm,msdp,mbgp days?  Also, with ssm there
> is almost no configuration that will be required other than
> turning on pim (and mbgp.. no msdp is needed).
>
>         - Jared
>
> --
> Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net
> clue++;      | http://puck.nether.net/~jared/  My statements are only mine.

Dear Jared;

I could do this at NANOG 22 if there was any interest. I presented on SSM last time.

I honestly think that the main barrier is inertia, plus a lack of strong customer demand
(as in, people calling up and saying "why can't I get multicast ?"). I think a little
demand would go a long way towards overcoming the inertia.

                                 Regards
                                 Marshall Eubanks

T.M. Eubanks
Multicast Technologies, Inc