dsl providers that will route /24

Steve Gibbard scg at gibbard.org
Mon Mar 26 22:30:37 UTC 2001

I think you're getting caught up in semantics here.  You're arguing about
total bandwidth used on the Internet (let's say amount of data times
distance traveled, for lack of a better metric), which will vary highly
depending on the individual setup.  Bill is talking about the amount of
data sent over customer local loops, which in many (but of course not all)
Internet access billing arrangements is what costs the customer money.

Anyhow, quibbling over exact usage measurements doesn't really detract
from Bill's main point, that tunneling in and out of one network to get to
another uses more resources than not doing so.

Hopefully we can all agree that tunnels/VPNs/whatever you want to call
them use some resources, are extremely useful in some situations, but
aren't the best solution for every possible problem, without having to get
into yet another huge flame war.

-Steve

Steve Gibbard				scg at gibbard.org