xDSL providers that will route /24

Segal, Mark Mark.Segal at Corp.Axxent.Ca
Mon Mar 26 04:13:26 UTC 2001

Although we are in the Toronto Area, I will still put my two cents in...

We are a xDSL provider in Canada (using rhythms Canada loops (which we
happen to be a 50/50 JV partner)).  We will route customer provided IP
space; If they "actually" own it, and also if they are not a service
provider.  Since many companies who have portable space, were either around
10 years ago.. :)  or are service providers we usually are very cautious on
this front.  Under no circumstances will be BGP peer with a xDSL customer.

The reasoning is quite simple, business grade xDSL is oversubscribed (not as
much as residential) that's why it is so much cheaper, and someone with IP
space of their own are usually going to use more than their fair share.. So
we them to buy a T1.. :).

Also, many xDSL providers think this way, so if you want some sort of
redundant guaranteed uptime, xDSL isn't all its cracked up to be, plus the
SLA's are usually poor (our avg downtime is much higher for xDSL than other
access method).

Mark

--
Mark Segal