DNS threads

Jim Dixon jdd at vbc.net
Mon Mar 19 15:19:55 UTC 2001

On Tue, 20 Mar 2001, Patrick Corliss wrote:

> > Hi everyone - I'd like to suggest that we end the DNS threads that have
> > cropped up on the NANOG list lately and return to our focus on operations
> > and engineering issues.  There are a variety of DNS-specific mailing lists
> > where these discussions would be more appropriate and you'll find a list
> > here:     http://www.nanog.org/isp.html#lists
>
> Hi Susan
>
> Thank you for that but the new.net issue has raised a lot of interest.  The
> reference you quoted shows
>
>     domain-policy at internic.net
>     Customer feedback for the InterNIC, used to identify Domain Registration
>      Policy issues of concern to members of the Internet community. To

The domain-policy list discussions almost entirely consist of
political rants.  On the whole the participants have little or no
understanding of the operation of the Internet.  They just want their
faction to gain control of as much as possible of it.

Nanog discussions recently have been specifically concerned with the
operational impact of new.net's offering of new top level domains
through browser plug-ins.  These issues can't and won't be discussed
on lists like domain-policy.  They can be and should be discussed by
the people running the Internet backbone; that means on this list.

--
Jim Dixon                  VBCnet GB Ltd           http://www.vbc.net
tel +44 117 929 1316                             fax +44 117 927 2015