Multiple Roots are "a good thing" - Karl Auerbach

Roeland Meyer rmeyer at mhsc.com
Mon Mar 19 08:53:58 UTC 2001

> yes, and multiple directory services are a great thing.
> However, when I dial
> +1.310.642.0351 it reaches the same number no matter where the call
> originates, in what phone network, who my LD carrier is, who
> my local telco
> is, or how many switches it passes through on the way.

Actually (and this is why I hate analogies), I have folks calling my home
number, for someone else who previously was assigned that number, all the
time. I've had that number over five years. We've had that discussion
before, wrt rat-holing net-blocks. What if the netblock gets assigned to
someone else?

The other counter is that the number is the equivalent of the IP addr. You
dial direct, you get the same phone. Use an older phonebook and you may have
a different number. Two different phonebooks, yielding two different
numbers, owned by the same person, is no problem either.  Two different
phonebooks, yielding two different numbers, owned by different persons, is
probably a court case anyway. At the least, it's a trademark violation. It
can all be drawn with a Karnaugh map.