DNS is like radio frequencies

Patrick Corliss patrick at quad.net.au
Mon Mar 19 08:36:51 UTC 2001

Alexei Roudnev <alex at relcom.net> wrote:
On Monday, March 19, 2001 6:35 PM (AEST)

> (you can even live without DNS at all - use search engine instead... It's not
> effective but possible yet).

Hi Alexei

Perhaps what you're talking about here is a "yellow pages" directory structure
that bypasses domain names and goes straight to IP addresses.  If so, why not?

But there are other ways to communicate without domain names and this issue was
raised at the ICANN conference in Melbourne by Andrew Pam during the public
forum in the afternoon of Tuesday the 13th March.  Unfortunately nobody,
particularly Vint Cerf, seemed to appreciate the importance of question that was
being raised.

Later I spoke to Andrew privately and he explained the workings of ICQ.

Which I understand is a method of communication that doesn't use the DNS.

Best regards
Patrick Corliss