Multiple Roots are "a good thing" - Karl Auerbach

Scott Francis scott at virtualis.com
Mon Mar 19 08:33:07 UTC 2001

On Mon, Mar 19, 2001 at 03:38:54AM +1100, Patrick Corliss had this to say:
[snip]
> We routinely use directory services in a multiplicity of forms -- telephone
> books published by local telephone companies or entrepreneurs, 411 services in
> various shapes and forms,  web pages, or even on CD-ROMs (indeed a well known
> Supreme Court case involved a telephone directory published on CD-ROM).

yes, and multiple directory services are a great thing. However, when I dial
+1.310.642.0351 it reaches the same number no matter where the call
originates, in what phone network, who my LD carrier is, who my local telco
is, or how many switches it passes through on the way.

Multiple equally valid 'root zones' will most certainly give rise to a situation
analogous to calling a phone number and having it ring at different destinations
depending on the point of origin.
[snip]

--
Scott Francis           scott@   [work:] v i r t u a l i s . c o m