Statements against new.net?

Jeff Workman jworkman at pimpworks.org
Fri Mar 16 13:37:21 UTC 2001

Stoned koala bears drooled eucalyptus spit in awe as Patrick Greenwell
exclaimed:

> Perhaps you might like to define "cooperating" for us? Has ICANN
> cooperated with the individuals and organizations that currently run
> alternate TLDs which predate the existence of ICANN? Or is it
> rather simply that "might makes right" and they only need to cooperate
> with "people that matter?"

I cannot say that I agree wholeheartedly with ICANN's decision making
process.  However, New.Net's way of creating new TLDs is *not* the way to
do it!  Furthermore, attempting to circumvent ICANN and the current DNS
system is *not* going to get New.Net any brownie points with them, and most
certainly isn't going to help get new TLDs established in the proper DNS
root.

Besides, why can't you face the fact that this isn't some rebellion against
ICANN?  It's nothing more than a money scam.  I seriously doubt that
New.Net or it's investors care about ICANN or it's politics.  Somebody got
an idea, saw dollar signs, and the marketroids went wild.  This kind of
greed, IMNSHO, contributes largely to the poor performance of dotcom/tech
stocks currently.

If the marketroids are going to have this level of control over the
technical aspects of the Internet, why don't we all just march over to the
marketing department, hand them our root and enable passwords, and tell
them, "Ok, you created this mess, now run the fscking thing yourself!" and
take a _long_ vacation?

Jeff

--
"...and the burnt fool's bandaged finger goes wobbling back to the
fire." -Joe Zeff in the SDM.