Statements against new.net?

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Fri Mar 16 09:13:45 UTC 2001

On Thu, Mar 15, 2001, Scott Francis wrote:

> If we remove DNS or a similar unique naming convention, the only way people have
> to navigate is by hoping that their search terms are specific enough to have the
> site they really want to reach appear somewhere in the top 100 results (i.e.
> "apple computer corporation" should hopefully return www.apple.com but may also
> return fansites, technical reviews, magazine sites, etc.).

Removing DNS is kinda the wrong thing. Do *you* want to run NIS? :)

In any case, what I've seen here screams out "Distributed directory
service!" Ie, if I pulled up a browser and typed in "apple" then it'd
first match an all the categories an "Apple" was found in, and
then let the user navigate that way.

.. which, people could argue is already being done through people like
Yahoo!, but I'd think something a little less centralised and a
little more end-user controlled would be more useful. In any case,
the first question which pops into my head is "How do you then stop
a porn site entering in wrong information to get the $$$?"

(.. and my answer to that is the porn store shouldn't be allowed to list
because of mis-representation, but hey, I'm just a youngin..)

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd		"The fact you can download a 100 megabyte file
<adrian at creative.net.au>  from half way around the world should be viewed